Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rocks In My Head




Sometimes to clear my head, I fill it with rocks. A walk on
the beach, ah! the air.... I find rocks shaped by time: wind, river, glacier, water, abrasion. Each rock tells me a story of a mind-bendingly long journey. I feel them in my hand, explore their shape, and we play together, fitting one on top of another.










At first, they won't balance, no way, unless you just put flat rock on flat.


















But let them pirouette, teach them to stand en pointe. They just love it. But you have to be patient. As in life, it takes time to find balance.

Try it this way...nope, how about like this?...nope. like this? Crash! O.K., dude, what about here?...Steady, steady, wait right here...

There you go, hold still...not hardly...hold, hold, stay...stay...(I can't even make a collie stay...)
Wait, are we there? have we found your center of gravity? Have I found mine? Yes? voila! She stays. Or he. Or it...



Balance. Fragile, yes. Touch the stack and it falls over. This is affordable therapy for me. Healing.

A way to put life in perspective. I heard about a courtyard in China where people dip their brushes in water and write on the rock or cement beneath their feet. They tell their troubles
with bold or timid strokes. Then their prayers eventually evaporate up into heaven.

Breathe in, breathe out...clear your head, clear your snout. Open heart.

"A man most becomes himself when he approaches the seriousness of a child at play"-Heraclitus

No comments: