Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Champagne All Around!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Tomie dePaola!!

Today is Tomie's 75th birthday. This is my little tribute to Tomie, the godfather of children's literature. Tomie is a brilliant author, artist, and designer. He has been a significant encouragement to me and my family. Way back when, Tomie gave me my first break in children's lit publishing. We love you Tomie and all of your books. See some more tributes (here) gathered by the incomparable Gina and Jarrett Krosoczka. See more at Tomie's blog.

6 comments:

storyqueen said...

Richard, this is really beautiful. Tomie is one of my all time favorites.

Well done.

Shelley

Martha Brockenbrough said...

What a fantastic portrait, and what a worthy subject.

Cheers!

Richard Jesse Watson said...

Thanks, Shelley, Tomie is an modern archetype. And a hoot.

I appreciate your comment, Martha. You are doing in your way what Tomie has done in his. Seriously.

i, chihuahua said...

that's a great illustration. i love the energy and magic metaphor. how lucky are you to have had an opportunity to know him.

yes, champagne all around.

BJW said...

Tomie is larger than life and you captured that great Dad. Good job. I also like how the sheep is eating the hat. Cool.

Richard Jesse Watson said...

Thanks B.